A Handy Spider Prevention Guide For West Chester Homeowners
October 7, 2022
There are a variety of common house spiders in West Chester and just as many ways for them to make their way into your home. Here's what you need to know about local home-invading spiders, why you don't want them hanging around your home, the best ways to prevent spiders in your home, and how pest control in West Chester can help you get rid of spiders and keep them from returning.
Characteristics Of Common Spiders
The majority of spiders in West Chester are more of a nuisance than anything. They share some specific traits, such as having eight legs, two body parts, and multiple sets of eyes. Spiders have spinnerets for making webs and venomous fangs for incapacitating their prey.
Some of the common types of house spiders in West Chester include:
- Orb weaver spiders
- Wolf spiders
- Cellar spiders
- Jumping spiders
While less common, there are two dangerous spiders that reside in Pennsylvania – the black widow and the brown recluse. While these spiders have venom that is dangerous to people and our pets, they are both rare and nonaggressive species that are unlikely to bite.
Why You Don't Want Spiders Hanging Around Your Home
Obviously, you will want to keep dangerous spiders out of your home, but what about the nuisance variety? Most common spiders don't pose any significant threat to your home or family aside from the annoyance of having them around. That said, there is a problem with having an increase in spiders in your West Chester home.
Unlike most pests, spiders don't seek entrance to our homes to access our leftovers or escape from outside temperatures. Instead, spiders enter homes in search of their pest prey – insects. So, if you're noticing more and more spiders around your West Chester home, it's important to consider what could be attracting them. Spider infestations are often one of the first warning signs of an insect infestation.
Five No-Sweat Tips To Prevent Spiders In Your Home
As with all pests, the best way to get rid of spiders is to avoid them in the first place. You can minimize the chances of spiders in your West Chester home with the following tips:
- Get rid of other pests. If you get rid of insects and other pests, spiders will have no reason to come into your home. Make sure you are storing food properly, keeping your kitchen clean, and addressing insect populations in or around your home.
- Minimize access to water. Spiders and the pests they hunt will be on the lookout for easy sources of water. Make sure your home is not providing this resource by fixing leaks, maintaining drainage, addressing condensation, and using dehumidifiers.
- Seal off entry points. Spiders and other pests will look for ways into your home. You can minimize the number of entry points by sealing cracks and crevices, installing door sweeps and weather stripping, and repairing or replacing torn screens.
- Clear out the clutter. Spiders like to hide in dark, undisturbed areas. You can minimize their hiding spots by keeping garages, attics, basements, and closets clean and free of clutter.
- Sweep away webs. Sweeping away spider webs on a regular basis will discourage any spiders that have made it inside from sticking around.
The best offense is a good defense, and, by using these tips, you can avoid the problems associated with spider infestations.
Professional Pest Control Makes For The Best Spider Control
Prevention methods are great, but what if spiders are already embedded in your home? To get rid of spiders in your house, professional pest control may be the answer. If you're having trouble eliminating spiders in West Chester, the experts at Masters Touch Pest Solutions can help. Give us a call today to find out more about our spider control methods and other ways we can help keep your home pest-free.