Help! I Can't Keep Overwintering Pests Out Of My West Chester Home
December 20, 2021
As the weather gets colder, your West Chester home is the perfect warm place for pests to shelter and ride out the change in seasons. Proactive prevention and an understanding of overwintering pests are essential in keeping them off of your property.
Understanding Overwintering Pests
Overwintering pests are naturally inclined to self-preserve through the winter and unfavorable weather by seeking out warm shelter. Unfortunately, this shelter is typically your home, where there is an abundant source of warmth, food, and moisture. You may commonly see the following pests in your house as the weather cools down, as they are fairly aggressive about invading your home during this time.
- Boxelder Bugs: These bugs are black with red or orange streaks outlining their bodies. They love to cling to curtains or climb on walls and prefer homes with plenty of sun exposure.
- Stinkbugs: These pests are generally brown with shield-shaped bodies. They leave behind an unpleasant odor, and you'll find them in cabinets, on walls, or in basements and crawl spaces.
- Ladybugs: These small red or orange bugs will gather in large numbers on the ceilings of your home. They can also emit an unpleasant odor and may leave stains around your house.
- Rodents: Mice and rats range in color and size but are among the more troublesome pests. They tend to hide in attics, basements, walls, or food storage areas and can create chaos in your home.
- Earwigs: Small brownish or red insects, earwigs may bite humans when threatened and can be generally unpleasant to encounter throughout your house.
Besides being an eyesore, these pests can bring significant destruction to your home. Insects will crawl on your furniture and leave behind stains, odors, or droppings. Your food storage and kitchen areas can be contaminated by pests searching for their next meal, and furniture or internal structures of your home may fall victim to chew marks or scratches.
Additionally, pests such as rodents can bring diseases into your house, and their urine and feces can spread major illnesses.
Overwintering Pest Prevention
To stop overwintering pests from entering your home, proactive prevention in the fall and ongoing professional care with the help of Masters Touch Pest Solutions is best. There are also several prevention tips that you can engage in over the winter to keep these pests out of your home.
- Seal up all potential entry points around your home. You should ensure that all window and door screens are intact and that there are no gaps or cracks around windows, doors, or your home's foundation. You may also want to invest in a chimney cap to keep rodents out of your attic.
- Vacuum, dust, and declutter around your home regularly as this will help you remove any insects that have made it into your home and will reduce hiding places around your house.
- Keep trash and food waste in tightly sealed areas and dispose of them promptly to stop the aroma from attracting pests into your home in the first place.
Effective Expert Pest Control
Pest problems can be a nightmare to deal with, especially in the winter as various insects and rodents invade your home. The most effective way to get rid of pests is to contact the pest control professionals here at Masters Touch Pest Solutions for safe, efficient control solutions.