How To Get Rid Of Fleas: Everything Downingtown Homeowners Need To Know
August 17, 2022
Fleas are more than a nuisance pest that bothers Downingtown residents by jumping around and biting. The tiny parasites are vectors for diseases that spread to humans and animals. Additionally, flea bites cause itching and swelling in allergic pets or humans. You may have to keep your family safe by contacting a Downingtown pest control company to eliminate these biting pests from your home.
How To Identify A Flea Infestation
Fleas are nasty, sneaky pests that can be difficult to find. Here are several warning signs of an emerging flea infestation within your home:
- Your pet is itchy: Fleas will irritate your pet's skin, causing them to scratch or bite on their fur coat.
- Your dog or cat's coat has red swellings: Flea bites leave tiny reddish bumps on your pet's skin.
- You can spot them: You can identify tiny, reddish-brown specks on your pet's fur or comb. They can jump onto your clothing, fabrics, or carpets.
- You notice tiny, blackish, non-moving specks: The dark freckles you see on your pet's fur represent 'flea dirt,' i.e., blood droplets that dry off once the flea feeds.
- Your skin has reddish blotches: Fleas also bite humans and will leave behind a red, itchy rash.
If you spot any of the above signs, organize a multi-faceted treatment approach with your vet and a flea control expert in Downingtown.
Fleas Can Be Hazardous To The Health Of People And Pets
Fleas' feeding habits often pose a significant health concern for all. The ectoparasites spread diseases to humans and pets alike. Some of the zoonotic diseases fleas can transmit to humans include:
- Bubonic plague
The tiny bitters are also responsible for flea allergy dermatitis (FAD), a condition that accounts for half of all dermatological issues reported among dogs and cats. It causes an allergic reaction in your pet that leads to scratching, chewing, licking, and hair loss. An animal with FAD will scratch or rub against hard surfaces to alleviate the irritation.
Additionally, fleas also carry tapeworms and can introduce them to your pets or family members. Tapeworms are intestinal parasites that have the potential to form dangerous cysts which require surgery to remove.
Proactive pest control is necessary to keep you, your children, and your furry friends safe. Pest exterminators can identify flea nests and hideouts before recommending treatment options tailored for your property.
All The Ways Fleas Find Their Way Into Our Homes
Fleas can become a stubborn pest to eliminate once the infestation takes root within your Downingtown home. But how do the tiny, wingless parasites find their way into your home? Here are five potential sources:
- Pets - Walking your pets outside can introduce them to fleas that they bring back to your home. Commonly infested areas such as dog parks or wooded areas can spread the fleas to your pet's fur. Limit your pet's movement outside when battling an infestation.
- Birds - Infested bird species on your roof or chimneys can also introduce fleas to your property. Wild birds that come to eat or drink from your bird feeder can drop fleas on your lawn. Your pet or children playing in the yard can bring them inside your home, creating a full-blown infestation.
- Rodents - Rats and mice on your property can bring in fleas. Rodents often carry flea eggs on their bodies, which can fall off and hatch if they find a nesting place in your home. Check your attic, basement, crawlspaces, and closets for any signs of rodent droppings. If you find any evidence of an infestation, call a rodent control professional.
- Wild Animals - Wild animals like possums, raccoons, and coyotes are common carriers of fleas. The wildlife trespassing on your property can drop fleas or their eggs on your yard, starting an infestation on your property.
- Humans - Your family members or house guests can bring the biting pest into your home. Fleas are excellent hitchhikers and can hang on the clothes of individuals who visit infested areas. Once inside, they'll seek out your pets and any nook and cranny to establish a flea nest.
Why Professional Pest Control Is Key To Total Flea Control
Your best bet at eliminating fleas from your home is to use professional exterminators. Fleas in Downingtown can find multiple nesting places, including your carpets, furniture fabric, and pet beddings. Our experts at Masters Touch Pest Solutions can identify the potential hiding spots and deploy effective treatment options.
Our residential pest control services also include follow-up visits to ensure the fleas don't return to your home. Call Masters Touch Pest Solutions today for a free quote or to schedule a flea inspection for your Downingtown home.