Signs Your West Chester Home Could Be Dealing With A Cockroach Infestation
November 13, 2021
Cockroach infestations can be hard to spot, and once you notice signs of these pests, the infestation may already be way out of control. Look out for these key signs to tell if cockroaches are invading your West Chester home.
Signs of Cockroaches In Your Home
Cockroaches are insects with small heads and broad, flattened bodies. They typically appear in a range of reddish-brown to darker brown colors and are known for being incredibly difficult to get rid of once they have moved into your house. In most cases, you are likely to see signs of a cockroach's presence before you actually see a cockroach or dead cockroach body – this is because they are highly adept at hiding and are typically nocturnal. Seeing cockroaches during the day can signify a major infestation that you must treat as soon as possible.
Several signs can indicate that your home is currently dealing with a cockroach infestation. Look out for one or all of these clues:
- Cockroach droppings are a major infestation sign and appear much like coffee grounds or pepper. They can be found anywhere in your home, especially near food storage areas or in the back of cabinets.
- When cockroaches move through your house, they tend to leave behind smear marks. These will be dark, streaky markings, and you'll find them where cockroaches are most actives. They will cover walls, floors, countertops, or cabinets, depending on your infestation level.
- Cockroaches may sometimes leave behind egg capsules where you can see them. These capsules are small and purse-shaped and can contain up to 60 eggs each, depending on the cockroach species.
- As cockroaches grow into maturity, they shed their skin several times. You'll find these shed skins around your home in areas they frequent. It is important to note that these shed skins can produce a significant trigger for those with asthma or other respiratory issues.
- Cockroach droppings carry a particular pheromone that comes off as a damp, musty smell. The larger an infestation grows, the more permeating this smell will be.
The Dangers Of Cockroaches
Cockroaches can bring several significant dangers into your home, including destruction to furniture, markings on walls, food contamination, and a substantial risk of disease. Due to the unsanitary areas that cockroaches walk through before entering your home (such as trash cans and sewers), they can bring illnesses such as cholera, dysentery, gastroenteritis, giardia, listeriosis, and salmonellosis right to your doorstep.
Additionally, cockroaches tend to infiltrate your home and hide in incredibly hard-to-reach areas, making them hard to detect in the first place and hard to eliminate by yourself, as it is almost impossible to reach the source of an infestation with simple over-the-counter measures. Plus, most cockroach species have developed a resistance to over-the-counter toxins, making these DIY methods an expensive trial and error process.
Professional Cockroach Removal
Because cockroaches present many risks to your home and are fairly difficult to remove by yourself, the best thing you can do is call the pest control professionals at Masters Touch Pest Solutions at the first sign of cockroaches. The experts will be able to find the source of your infestation and provide efficient, safe solutions. Reclaim your home from pests; call Masters Touch Pest Solutions today.