The Ultimate Wasp Prevention Guide For Your Downingtown Yard
April 27, 2023
Downingtown, PA, is home to historic buildings as well as beautiful parks and trails. It is easy to imagine spending a warm summer day outside in your Downingtown yard enjoying a cold drink. Nonetheless, you have to be prepared for different pests that may try to enter your home, such as wasps. Wasp prevention is your best defense. Contact Masters Touch Pest Solutions to learn more about our pest control in Downingtown.
Characteristics Of Common Wasps
Wasp identification is the first step in wasp prevention. There are different kinds of wasps in Downingtown, and understanding each one will help you take the best and safest action toward wasp nests removal.
The following are some of the most common wasps in Downingtown:
- Bald-faced hornets: These insects range from 1/2 inch to 5/8 inches in size. They are black with white markings and have a white-patterned face (hence the name). These insects are not actually hornets but are social wasps. They build aerial paper nests, which can hang from trees, shrubs, utility poles, houses, or other structures.
- Eastern yellow jackets: This type of wasp measures 3/8 to 5/8 inches, with distinguishable yellow and black colors. They have a small “waist” and are noticeably segmented. These wasps build underground or aerial nests with a paper-like material made from chewed cellulose.
- Eastern cicada-killer wasp: These wasps measure over 1 ½ inches in size. They are black and yellow and have rusty clear wings. They are known for hunting cicadas and digging nest tunnels in pastures and lawns.
- Paper wasps: This type of wasp measures from 5/8 inches to 3/4 inches in size. They are brown with yellow markings, and some have reddish markings. You can distinguish these wasps by their “thin waist” and long legs. These are also social wasps that build umbrella-shaped paper nests.
If you see any of the types of wasps above on your Downingtown property, we recommend you schedule a home inspection with your local pest control company at your earliest convenience.
Some Wasps Are More Dangerous Than Others
While some wasps are more dangerous than others, wasps and stinging insect nests should always be left undisturbed. According to the National Pest Management Association, stinging insects, such as wasps, hornets, mud dabbers, bees, and velvet ants, send more than half a million individuals to the emergency room annually. Therefore, it is important to establish and implement a comprehensive pest control program regarding wasp prevention and treatment.
Some of the most aggressive wasps in Downingtown are the Eastern yellow jackets, which can cause painful stings and allergic reactions. Bald-faced hornets are also aggressive by nature, and their sting is also painful and can cause allergic reactions. Other types of wasps, such as paper wasps and Eastern cicada-killer wasps, will usually only sting if they feel threatened or disturbed. Regardless, they could still provoke allergic reactions, so it is best to stay on the safe side. For the safest and best way to get rid of wasps in Downingtown, we recommend you contact Masters Touch Pest Solutions.
Five Environmentally Friendly Wasp Prevention Tips
Wasp control is within your reach. Remember that wasp prevention is your best and safest defense!
You can follow these five environmentally friendly wasp prevention tips on your Downingtown property:
- Avoid wearing scented products, such as perfumes, body sprays, lotions, and even scented sun-tan lotions, as these can attract wasps.
- Cover food with lids or netted coverings if you are outdoors.
- Fix damaged door and window screens if there are holes or gaps or are they are ill-fitting.
- Keep your doors and windows closed as much as possible.
- Seal cracks and crevices with caulking or all-weather stripping to prevent wasps from entering your Downingtown property.
While the tips above can help you deter the presence of wasps, we suggest you reach out to Masters Touch Pest Solutions if you need a wasp nest removal in Downingtown.
Call The Professionals For Total Wasp Control For Your Yard
If you need wasp control in Downingtown, Masters Touch Pest Solutions is your best choice. This type of service does not require an inspection, as it can be a one-time service. However, if you have a larger yard or more trees, we can perform this service bi-monthly or quarterly. Although wasp season is generally from April to October, we are here to help you get rid of wasps any time of the year. We advise you never to remove a wasp nest without professional assistance. If you want to learn more about our wasp nest removal services, contact Masters Touch Pest Solutions today for a free estimate.