West Chester's Guide To Common Winter Pests And How To Prevent Them
January 25, 2022
If you think that pests lay dormant in the winter because of the cold weather and snow, we are sorry to inform you that is simply not true. You still need pest control in West Chester to take care of the insects and rodents that have chosen your home as their shelter for the winter.
Types Of Pests You Might See In Your Home In The Winter
Pests and mice in winter are naturally inclined to self preserve from the unfavorable weather and seek out warm shelter. Unfortunately, this shelter can be your West Chester home, which is filled with an abundance of food, moisture, and warmth.
As the weather cools down, keep a lookout for these aggressive invaders:
- Boxelder bugs: These black bugs with red or orange streaks are usually only pests by their presence. They feed primarily on specific trees and plants, yet they become a nuisance when they invade your home looking for an escape from the winter cold. Sometimes they leave behind fecal matter on their resting sites, such as curtains. Getting rid of boxelder bugs is easy by spraying them with soap and water.
- Earwigs: Contrary to popular belief, earwigs will not crawl into your ears in the middle of the night and lay eggs. However, they are still unpleasant to encounter in your home and may bite you if threatened. To eliminate them, spray them with a rubbing alcohol and water mixture.
- Rodents: Regardless of whether you have a fear of rodents or not, no one wants to share their home with them. Mice and rats hide in walls, attics, basements, and food storage areas. They cause damage to your home and carry an array of diseases. Hiring a professional pest control company is the most efficient way to handle them.
- Stink bugs: Stink bugs in West Chester are technically harmless to humans, except for the stench they release when threatened.
These brown, shield-shaped insects will always find a way to sneak into your home, and you’ll find them just about anywhere. If you suspect you have a stink bug problem, you can take the offending invaders outside or flush them down the toilet. Refrain from squishing them if you want to avoid that smell.
Winter Pest Hide Outs Inside Your Home
Your entire home is a hiding place for all sorts of pests and mice in winter. Anywhere they can squeeze through and hide while keeping warm is fair game, including:
- Under furniture
- Backs and insides of cupboards
- Mattresses and bed frames
- Under sinks in kitchens and bathrooms
- Inside electrical receptacles, appliances, and electronics
Stink bugs in West Chester also love plants, so keep an eye out for their flat, shield-shaped bodies on your greenery.
Prevention For Keeping Pests Out In Winter
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Taking care of a few details before winter sets in can go a long way in keeping winter pests from hanging out in your home and opting for the neighbor's home instead. Here are some suggestions:
- Put weather stripping around entry doors.
- Caulk around windows, inside and out, to fill cracks.
- Caulk small gaps around exposed pipes near your foundation.
- Seal foundation cracks.
- Put a screen or cap on the top of your chimney.
- Keep debris and edible vegetation away from your home’s foundation.
- Hire Masters Touch Pest Control to treat and prevent winter pest infestations before they start.
The Best Way To Handle A Winter Pest Infestation In Your Home
Whether you have a fear of rodents, a stink bug problem, or you’re just trying to prevent any of these winter pests from invading your home, call Masters Touch Pest Control for your residential and commercial West Chester pest control solutions.
For over 30 years, we have served West Chester and the surrounding communities with respect and excellence. We are knowledgeable, experienced, and doing our part to use the best methods to target pests from invading your home while lessening the impact on the environment and natural surroundings.
Call us for your free estimate and to get started on a pest control regime to keep winter pests out of your West Chester home today!