Why Pest Control Is Still Important In The Winter In Downingtown
January 17, 2023
The upside of Pennsylvania winters is the reduction in pest populations. Unfortunately, in some cases, pest control is still crucial not only to treat current problems that exist year-round, such as rats and mice but also to ensure you do not struggle with full-on infestations as soon as the weather warms up.
If you depend on the services of a local pest control company for the rest of the year, it is vital that you understand that not all pests go away in the winter and that some of them will even try to take refuge in your home. You will also want to apply simple tips to prevent winter pests and get educated on the benefits of professional pest control for a pest-free home all year.
If you are struggling with a pest infestation, Masters Touch Pest Solutions provides pest control in Downingtown that is safe for children and pets and highly effective.
Not All Pests Go Away In The Winter
Pest activity often decreases in the winter, but you might still see invaders around your home, especially if they have already started to infest. Some of the ones to look out for that require proactive prevention include:
- Ants: Are less active outdoors in the winter because they are cold-blooded insects, but this is less of a problem in your heated home. Some types, like carpenter ants, can cause structural damage to your home and should be treated.
- Food infesting pests: Few things are more disappointing than stocking your pantry with food, only to find packages full of dusty moths and larvae. There is no telling when you will have a food-infesting pest infestation, as the problem often begins at the food processing plant.
- Rodents: If you have a mouse or rat infestation, it is doubtful that it will go away simply because the weather has cooled down. Rodents are active year-round and can transmit a variety of diseases.
- Termites: Not only are termites active all year, but they also do not sleep. Instead, they spend their time digesting the wood in your home, causing increasingly dangerous structural damage.
- Boxelder bugs and stink bugs: These pests are common; you might get a higher number of them when it gets colder. While harmless, you probably would rather avoid stink bugs' offensive smell in your home or boxelder bugs' fecal matter on curtains.
There are many reasons why you will still see pests in your home in the winter. One of them is that they will often try to take refuge in your home.
Pests Will Try To Take Refuge In Your Home
Pests will often try to take refuge in your home because it provides them with the three things they need the most, food, water, and shelter. Sometimes, you might not even notice them.
Mice and rats are primarily active at night and will shy away from human activity. They might hide in your walls, quiet spaces like basements and attics, or even your kitchen, where they will wait for you to sleep before coming out to go through your food supply.
Ants are also problematic because seeing them in the winter means they have a well-established colony. If you are noticing a significant amount of pests in your home even as the weather cools, it is time to try some simple home pest control tips to prevent and deter them safely.
Simple Tips To Prevent Winter Pests In Your Home
These DIY pest control for your home can help prevent winter pests effectively:
- Use door sweeps and weather stripping around doors
- Fill in cracks in your foundation and walls
- Keep your yard clean even in the winter, or consider outdoor home pest control treatments
- Clean up after prepping food or eating
- Schedule regular inspections with a residential pest control company
The best way to eliminate pests is to take the necessary precautions at home and rely on the services of a pest control company when needed.
Professional Pest Control For A Pest-Free Home All Year
Homeowners are sometimes at a loss when it comes to pest infestations. But at Masters Touch Pest Solutions, we have an entire team of experts ready to help you eliminate them safely. We are one of the oldest and most reputable family-owned and operated pest control businesses in the Downingtown area. We pride ourselves on offering the best customer service possible.
You can have a pest-free home using a combination of natural home pest control techniques and safe but effective treatments. After an initial home inspection, we can help you determine which strategy is right for you. Contact us today, and let's put your winter pest problems behind you.
While pest activity decreases in the winter, there are still several types you will want to be on guard for. But no matter the type you are dealing with, our licensed technicians can help eliminate them quickly with various top-rated residential pest control services.