Why Spiders Invade Your Downingtown Home And How To Keep Them Out
August 24, 2022
Approximately 3%-15% of Americans have Arachnophobia – the fear of spiders. Most people indicate the erratic movements and "legginess" as the primary reason for the phobia, not necessarily spider bites. While evolutionary responses may play a huge part in this fear, spotting creepy crawlers in your house or basement can be uncomfortable and terrifying. Pest control in Downingtown can assist in eliminating the spider infestation within your home.
Characteristics Of The Common Spider
There are over 48,000 species of spiders identified across the globe, present in all continents except Antarctica. They come in all shapes, colors, and sizes, with most species using their venom for hunting prey. Here are characteristics that identify the common spider:
- Spiders have two body parts, divided into the cephalothorax and the abdomen.
- They have eight, typically long, legs attached to the cephalothorax.
- Most spiders have six to eight eyes.
- All spiders produce silk, but not all species use it to create webs.
- Spiders often have fang-like structures that they use to bite and deliver venom to kill their prey.
While they will bite when cornered or agitated, most spider venom is harmless to humans. The only two spider species with venom potent enough to affect humans and the black widow and brown recluse. If you are unsure of the creepy critters scampering across your walls and floors, call a Downingtown pest control company to assist you with accurate identification.
A Spider Infestation Often Indicates A Bigger Problem
The presence of different kinds of spiders in your home is often closely related to other pest infestations. Spiders are ferocious predators, feeding on flies, mosquitoes, and other small insects. If your house is suddenly crawling with tiny spiders, it's time to investigate and determine the source of their prey populations.
Spider infestations manifest themselves for a variety of reasons:
- Unsanitary conditions within your house attract bugs to your home.
- Gaps or cracks in your foundation or interior walls bring in the spiders and their prey.
- Untended lawns provide harborage to more insects.
- Leaky pipes or plumbing offer a steady water supply to the critters invading your home.
Invading pests can be creative in picking their harborage spots, making it difficult for Downingtown homeowners to control their populations. Consider hiring pest extermination experts to identify the hiding spots and appropriate treatment programs for spiders and their prey.
Factors That Attract Spiders Into Your Home
Spiders are normally silent invaders, avoiding human contact as much as possible. Here are reasons why they may be targeting your home:
- Food Sources: As discussed earlier, spiders feed on tiny insects. An infestation within your walls can attract different types of spiders to your property. You can control the invasions by eliminating the bugs within your home.
- Clutter: Clutter provides the perfect environment for spiders, offering covered spots to hide and breed. Untended lawns, forgotten porch furniture, firewood stored next to your foundation, and other untidy sections of your home will provide harborage points for the arachnids to weave their webs. Eliminating the clutter within your property can get rid of the spiders in your home.
- Warm Temperatures: Spiders will seek shelter inside your home when weather conditions become harsh. They may invade your house to winterize and continue breeding. The warmth within your walls can create a conducive environment to live and build nests.
- Lights: Your love of soft mood lighting could be causing a spider problem. Spiders are nocturnal hunters and are attracted to light sources. They will prey on insects attracted to lights, such as moths, flies, and beetles. If you have outside lights near your house, reduce their wattage or remove them to help deter spiders.
- Gaps In Your Home's Structure: Cracks and crevices in your house exteriors can attract pests that lure spiders into your home. Some types of wolf spiders will occupy the holes or cracks dug by their prey as their new home. Sealing the gaps is an effective method to keep all the bugs out, including spiders.
Professional Pest Control Makes For The Best Spider Control
The best way to keep spiders off your property is to hire expert pest exterminators. At Masters Touch Pest Solutions, our trained technicians can conduct a wide-scale inspection to identify the source of the infestations.
Our team will then recommend the best way to eliminate your spider problem and their prey. Our pest control follow-up services ensure the creepy bugs do not return to your property. Call us today to learn more about our residential pest control solutions.