As for positive thinking, you can look at ants as nature's housekeeping team, finding and removing food left around the house. The issue is that some of the time, humans do not want their assistance.
The discovery of an ant infestation in your kitchen or throughout your home in the morning is always startling. You may have never experienced this before, even if you have lived in the house for years. Ants are a particularly problematic species of pest here in West Chester. Even a few are all you need to have an infested kitchen; eliminating them is not easy. However, what causes any infestations to happen in the first place?
Ants often crawl about our backyards, but during the summer months, when we open our doors and windows to allow fresh air, they often view this as an open invitation to enter our homes. If you're wondering how to eliminate ants, you have a few alternatives. Still, prevention is always more effective than cure, so avoid an infestation by avoiding putting temptation in their path.
As your trusted pest control in West Chester, we at Masters Touch Pest Solutions are here to provide you with only the highest quality ant control services. Give us a call today to request your free quote.
Types Of Ants That Commonly Invade West Chester Homes
Although Pennsylvania is home to many different species of ants, only a few cause concern for homeowners. Most of these ants entering your home will not cause any damage, but certain species can damage your wooden buildings, pose potential health problems, and bring in additional pests. Here is a list of the most common species of ants here in West Chester:
- Pavement ant: The most prevalent type of ant found in Pennsylvania is the pavement ant. Their name comes from their habit of nesting around or under sidewalks and driveways. The head and thorax of these insects are black; however, the abdomen of these insects is light-colored. Pavement ants are 0.25 to 0.50 inches on average. Because they come to damp and warm environments, the most likely places in your home to experience an infestation are the kitchen and the bathroom. When they enter your home, pavement ants have one goal, to forage for food. This ant species is drawn to diets high in protein or sugar.
- Carpenter ant: The term "carpenter ant" comes from the fact that these insects construct their nests entirely within wooden structures; this can be a highly troublesome situation since the nest might compromise the structural integrity of whatever surface it is on, including homes and other buildings. Even if the nest is in a tree, this can happen. Carpenter ants are typically 0.75 to 1 inch long and have a reddish tinge around their mandibles. In contrast to most ants, who only have a single queen in each colony, carpenter ants have numerous queens, making it more challenging to eradicate an infestation. These ants invade damp wood more than any other type of wood, so one way to reduce the likelihood that they will enter your home is to remove any damp wood.
- Odorous ants: The odorous house ant is widespread in Pennsylvania and the rest of the United States and is notorious for its foul odor. They are small and brown in color and are inside and outside homes. The ground is where odorous house ants lay their eggs, but they will also make nests in wall voids, cracks, and crevices in your house if they can find the right conditions. The inclination of odorous house ants to search for food near water sources indicates that you have an infestation. You may observe them climbing along the sides of your windows or marching along your countertops. Like the carpenter ant, this species has more than one queen in each colony it inhabits. Similar to carpenter ants, the presence of this species won't pose a risk to the building's structure, but the annoyance caused by an infestation is reason enough to look into ant control in West Chester, PA.
Masters Touch Pest Solutions can safeguard your home against ant invasions. Contact us today.
The Many Problems Ant Infestations Can Create In A Home
Ants are known to present several challenges for homes. They will typically enter your home searching for food or moisture, frequently traveling through the kitchen to your countertops and pantries. They contaminate human and animal food supplies in their quest for food. Odorous house ants and pavement ants are the types of ants that are most likely to make their way into kitchens.
In addition, carpenter ants are responsible for structural damage in your home. To construct their nests, these ants will chew their way through your home's hardwood floors, joists, and studs. Ants can even find their way into your electrical system.
Obtaining home pest control services from Masters Touch Pest Solutions is the best way to protect your family and home.
Six No-Nonsense Ant Prevention Tips For Around The House
Ant colonies start in the earth outside, where the members of their colony disperse to forage for food. Making the interior of your home less inviting to ants will help prevent them from entering in the first place. Take a look at these six ant prevention tips:
- Food storage: The aroma of food is the main attraction for ants inside. Ants can find even the tiniest traces of food left behind by the smell. Ants cannot find food products if stored properly and securely, protecting them from contamination.
- Deep cleaning: Maintaining a clean home is essential since even the smallest crumbs can be a feast for these microscopic pests. Be sure to reach sometimes overlooked areas, such as behind and beneath large appliances.
- Professional pest treatments: If you already have an infestation, store-bought solutions may temporarily solve the issue. Companies specializing in pest control offer guarantees, and effective treatments can stop new colonies from growing.
- Sealing Cracks: An ant can squeeze through any hole in a wall or crack in a foundation. Regularly check your property's exterior and repair any issues.
- Window screens and door sweeps: Ants won't be able to enter through small cracks in window screens and frames with proper window screen and frame maintenance. Installing door sweeps and weather stripping can make it harder for ants to get through the gaps around the doors.
- Lawn Care: Many property owners layout their lawns and yards thinking of aesthetics rather than protection. Pest entry into your home will be less likely if soil beds and vegetation are a reasonable distance away.
A comprehensive outdoor ant control plan requires more than just paying attention to the interior. You'll need to go outside to determine where an ant's territory intersects with yours because colonies form out. Contact Masters Touch Pest Solutions for a control plan.
The Secret Weapon To Total Ant Control For West Chester Homes
The presence of one or two ants doesn’t mean you need to panic, but at what point does an ant problem need expert assistance from pest professionals?
Ants come in various species, each of which has particular preferences regarding the flavor of food that attracts it. Some ants like sweeter flavors, while others like a saltier taste. Ants are commonly regarded as one of the most challenging unwanted pests to eliminate because a single ant colony can have anywhere from hundreds to thousands of individuals.
Only 25 of the more than 700 different species of ants found in the United States will be inside homes, and eliminating these can require various treatments. Obtaining professional pest control services will make your life a lot simpler. An authorized pest control professional will be able to identify the ant species, which is crucial since it will determine the advised treatment method.
At Masters Touch Pest Solutions, we know how to get rid of ants. Our team of committed and licensed pest professionals will provide you with the ideal combination of experience, cutting-edge technology for pest control, and personalized guidance, which can guarantee that your home will be free of pests. Call us or fill out our estimate form on our website to get started immediately.